I remember very distinctly the very first time that I learned to french braid. We were preteens and were riding in the church van with a bunch of the teenagers. One of them asked if they could french braid myhair. My best friend, Dawn,watched very closley and then later in the day we practiced on each other's hair. That day is like a video in my head that I have watched over and over through the years. I can also recall a photograph in my mind of a couple of years later. My friend Dawn and I and a few other girls our age sitting on the back of the bench at summer camp with some preteeners in front of us. Since it was Alabama summers with temperatures hovering around 100 degrees or more, we had lines of girls needing thier hair braided. Those are some really fond memories.
I have always looked forward to the day that I had my own baby girl so that I could french braid her hair. I love how her hair curls around her face, but the curls also make it difficult to get a good braid, not to mention that fact that she is two years old and never stops moving. I had to braid it while her hair was wet, so when it dried it started falling apart. Well, at least it looked good long enough for pictures.

I also had another childhood memory over the weekend. I can remember when my sister and I were little girls we would sit outside in the grass for hours looking for four leafed clovers.
I don't remember ever finding a four leafed one, but the memory of sitting in the grass with my little sister and making clover necklaces will be in head forever. This weekend I sat in the grass and made a clover necklace with my boys (Alyssa wouldn't sit still long enough) and they loved it too. It may not be very manly to wear a necklace, but I think that Karston pulled it off really well. 
I love watching my children grow and relive some of the wonderful memories that I experienced as a kid. I am so happy to be a part of the memories that they will one day look back on as adults.



1 comments:
Do you remember how creative we would get with our french braids...braid them upside down or to the side...we were cool!
Post a Comment