In February of 2002, Heath and I packed up everything we owned into a moving truck, put our two year old in the front seat and prepared to leave the state where we had met, dated, married and started our little family. We were excited about the possibilities ahead of us and the adventure of living in a new state, a cold state. While we were very excited to be moving on, we knew that we also had to make the sacrifice of leaving our family behind.We have lived in Illinois for almost 7 years now and have loved many things about being here. But just because we have loved where we are, doesn't mean we have forgotten where we came from. We try to visit our friends and family that still live there when we can. We go back and visit the church that we grew up every few years. But with it being a 16 hour drive down there from here, going back to our roots not only takes money but also vacation time.
Heath found a place where we could go home, but not have to leave the city limits of
Chicago. It is called the HoundsTooth Lounge, just a few blocks from Wrigley Field. We went there last night to watch the Sugar Bowl. I will not mention the outcome of the game just the atmosphere of the place. We walked into a sea of Crimson and White. People everywhere claiming their loyalty to our State's best Football team. Even though we didn't know anyone there we knew that we had stepped into a familiar place. We quickly met a group of people from Tuscaloosa and Huntsville and they shared their table space with us. Across from us was another group of people from Gadsden that had the Alabama look and the Alabama sound. While we sat enjoying the food, the atmosphere and parts of the game, two girls walked up to us and with thick accents asked us where in Alabama we were from.
Chicago. It is called the HoundsTooth Lounge, just a few blocks from Wrigley Field. We went there last night to watch the Sugar Bowl. I will not mention the outcome of the game just the atmosphere of the place. We walked into a sea of Crimson and White. People everywhere claiming their loyalty to our State's best Football team. Even though we didn't know anyone there we knew that we had stepped into a familiar place. We quickly met a group of people from Tuscaloosa and Huntsville and they shared their table space with us. Across from us was another group of people from Gadsden that had the Alabama look and the Alabama sound. While we sat enjoying the food, the atmosphere and parts of the game, two girls walked up to us and with thick accents asked us where in Alabama we were from.
This is a hard question for me to answer. While I grew up in Birmingham (central Alabama,) I went to college in Florence (North Alabama,) and after we were married we lived on the Gulf Coast (South Alabama,) for 5 years. Between Heath and I we have family from Mobile, Prattville (Montgomery) and Opelika. When I came home from college, I got a job with AAA in their Road Service department. When people would call me from the side of the road with car trouble I had to know exactly what hwy they were on, in which town and how to get them the nearest help. That meant that I had to be familiar with the entire state. I never had a problem. We told these girls that asked, that we grew up in Hoover and they wrinkled their noses and
gave us a stare. Then they explained that they were Rebels from Vestavia (Hoover's biggest football rival.) When they asked us what year we graduated I had to explain that we went to school there before it was famous and a so BIG. They were very considerate in the way that they let us know that we are much older than them.
gave us a stare. Then they explained that they were Rebels from Vestavia (Hoover's biggest football rival.) When they asked us what year we graduated I had to explain that we went to school there before it was famous and a so BIG. They were very considerate in the way that they let us know that we are much older than them.
I was sad to leave this place that reminded me of home. But Alas we did have to go! You can be sure that we will visit our Sweet Home Alabama Lounge again, especially next football season.



5 comments:
Um... confused. Is it "Roll Tide!" or "Roll Over and Quit Tide!"? Oh wait, that's right... I'm an Illini fan. I have no room to talk. ;) Hope you guys had a great holiday season. God bless.
BOO Matt!
I'm glad y'all had fun! I might have to go get my dose of Bama there sometime.
BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (that's my evil laugh) :D
It's good that you clarified that as a laugh? I would have read it more as a cry. Maybe even a cry for help.
That's so cool!!! Who woulda thought that you could have found an Alabama place in Chicago?!
Post a Comment