Saturday, February 14

I heart from black to red...

When I was in high school my friends and I decided to start a boycott of Valentine's day. We wore black and had a girl's only night together that was supposed to be void of any romance. The only glitch was that when I rented the movie, I thought I would be safe with a movie about the president, but it ended up being a love story.

A year or two later Heath and I got engaged and then married only two weeks before Valentine's day. We decided that we didn't need another day of celebrating love so soon and agreed to just skip this holiday in our house. For years Valentine's has come and gone with very little attention.

On the flip side my mother has always been more into Valentine's than most any other holiday! We could guarantee that our mother would have a surprise waiting for us every Valentine's morning. This holiday was not so much about a romantic love as it was about family love.

Now that my children are a bit older and my mother showers them every year with hearts, and prizes, I too have found myself enjoying this holiday again. The past two years the kids and I have made cards for family together and this year we are all dressed in red and white to commemorate.

So I have now gone from this being a black holiday dedicated to lovers to a Red holiday dedicated to family. I do have the best of families and will always celebrate their love.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to Karston, Josiah and Alyssa and Heath

1 comments:

angie said...

Mom does seem to make a big deal out of it, huh? She's also big on Easter. Anyway, I like that focus of family love. Not the forced mushy stuff. ;) I remember getting prizes from you and Alyssa in my classroom last year. It was so special.

By the way, Mom was trying to get in touch with you yesterday on Valentine's Day...

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column