Sunday, May 24

Adjustments...

So dad is back in the hospital because now his gallbladder has malfunctioned. We don't really know much more than this. There are many questions for the doctors and I'm hoping we can get answers soon. It seems that there are a many adjustments that dad has to get used to. This will not be an easy process, but necessary for all of us to be a part of it.








I have been undergoing some adjustments as well. I have always considered myself flexible and thought that I can adapt to many situations. This year has required much more. We have been unable to sell our house (no one has looked at it since Thanksgiving) which means that our finances have gotten tighter than ever, We have been puzzled all year about our son's medical needs, and my dad (whom I have always thought of as invincible) is going through the toughest time of his whole life. This on top of a few little things that aren't worth mentioning but just add to the list of adjustments in my life.






Last weekend my sister and a few childhood friends and I took a road trip to North Carolina for a weekend reunion of R and R. Each of us took turns talking about our lives and struggles and accomplishments since last Spring (when we last got together.) When it came to be my turn to "tell all" I poured my heart out without holding back. All of the emotion of the past year came flooding to the surface and I was taken aback at how much my life had gotten out of my control. I had not adjusted well. But my friends that saw through the gunk and straight to my heart. There was no Judgement, no Confronting, no Advice on how to deal with it all better. NO, they just loved me and spoke to me with mercy and grace and true friendship. God brought these women into my life to carry me to the cross when I could no longer walk on my own.

As we spent the weekend by the lake, time stood still and my heart was able to recharge. When I returned home to my family, life started up again right away, and I found that only one thing that had changed: My Heart.



A few days ago I had a really rough day and it seemed that I again was needing a small heart adjustment. I asked God to once again show me His mercy. The next morning I got a message from another friend. A friend that I have known for 10+ years, but haven't seen in 7 years. She was encouraging me to hold on to hope and then also sent me a song to listen to. This song was like a salve to my aching soul.


I am adjusting! And when the adjustments seem to be too much? That is when God steps in carries me on the wings of the angels he has placed in my life for just such a time as this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charis,
It's Adrienne.
I just read your blog and thought you might be interested in a snippet from Bruce's sermon this morning. He spoke on the pattern of communion. Jesus TOOK bread, BLESSED it, BROKE it and then GAVE it. We can see the same pattern in our lives. He chose us, picked us, took us. He blesses us as His own. Then there's a breaking. Bruce used Luke 24:30 & 31 - when Jesus disguised himself and ate dinner. It was only after he broke the bread and gave it to them that they saw Christ and recognized him. Bruce talked about that pattern in our lives. Sometimes it's in the breaking that we recognize Christ at work. Then he GIVES... I think sometimes he gives us away so that others can see Him in us and sometimes He just gives..what we need, grace, mercy, kindness,healing, encouragement, etc. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you that "this too shall pass" and thought I'd share a little from the sermon this morning. I've paraphrased a great deal, but I think I've got the general idea down.
Know that we're praying for y'all.

angie said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Reese. Last weekend and in this blog. Love you! It's so good to have friends and sisters to share life's ups and downs with. Not trying to toot my own horn here, but did you read my poem "Ally"? What we all shared last weekend and what you and I share on a continuing basis is what I had in mind when I wrote it. But it's not possible except when we open ourselves up to each other. Thanks for doing that. So thankful you're my sister.

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column