"Think
about the women you meet at church. They're trying to live up to some model of
femininity. What do they "teach" you about being a woman? What are they saying
to us through their lives? [They are sweet, they are helpful, their hair is
coifed, they are busy, they are disciplined, they are composed... and they are
tired.] And guilty. We're all living in the shadow of that infamous
icon, The Proverbs 31 Woman, whose life was so busy I wonder, when does
she have time for friendships, for taking walks, or reading good
books? Her light never goes out at night? When does she have sex? Somehow
she has sancitfied the shame most women live under, biblical proof that yet
again we don't measure up. Is that supposed to be godly -- that sense that
you are a failure as a woman." -- Captivating by John and Stasi EldredgeSo I have been reading this really
great book mentioned
above. This book is not necessarily about the Proverbs
31 Woman, but more about how Women have been created in God's image. I
have only read the first couple of chapters,but I have already learned so
much.Now if you are like me, you read this and think 'I can surley relate to the pressure and guilt that these verses have placed upon many women,' but at the same time I think 'the bible is not wrong and was not written for the purpose of making us feel shame over not being able to measure up.' So then what is it that we are meant to glean from 21 verses that describe "The Wife of Noble Character?"In speaking with my husband's mom this past weekend, she shared with me her thoughts on the Proverb. Her idea is that the verses tell us about ALL women, not just one woman. That makes sense to me and it takes alot of the pressure off of me.Then I went back and re-read the passages in question. I saw something there I had not noticed before..."Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Prov. 31:11-12NIV"Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land." Prov. 31: 23NIV"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her." Prov. 31:28 NIV.I noticed that there is just as
much importance on "The noble wife's" husband as there is on the wife herself.
This brought to mind another portion of the book..."Now- can you see how the desires of a man's heart and the desires of a woman's heart were at least meant to fit beautifully together? A woman in the presence of a good man, a real man, loves being a woman. His strength allows her feminine heart to flourish. His pursuit draws out her beauty. And a man in the presence of a real woman loves being a man." -Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge.
So now read the Proverb again with all of this in mind. I come to the conclusion that the passage can be meant to show us the relationship
between God and the church. The way that both are meant to "beautifully fit
together." So this Proverb gives us an example of the Bride of Christ
as she was created to be, rather than an impossible model of what
every woman should be for her family.This is just
my opinion and a few ideas I have gathered in my thought process. What
is your take of the Proverb's Wife of Noble Character?
Thursday, September 10
A new take on a Proverb
Posted by Reese at 8:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I hope you will keep blogging about it as you read this book! I need to be reminded of some of those things. Just reading this stirred my heart, and reminded me of the things I learned while reading it.
Love your comparison to relationship between God and the church. It made me think of Eph. 5from The Message:
"Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives."
(p.s. i didn't see any heresy)
Post a Comment