Several weeks ago we had an ice cream party in our neighborhood. The kids and I walked up and down several streets and handed out flyers to everyone inviting them to "Sundaes on Sunday" at our house. Between the neighbors and some friends from church, we had about 30 people show up at our house. It was so much fun!
Heath and I love having our neighbors over to our house. We have gotten to know several of the neighbors behind us and we invite them over as much as we can to sit around the fire pit and just talk . Our kids love the other kids here too and that is very important.
It is not all on us to reach out though. Just last night we went to a block party for the street on the west side of us. We live on a very busy Hwy and are just about the only house facing that street so we were honorably invited to be a part of Harding Street. We had such a great time and we got the chance to meet several neighbors that are a little more new to the neighborhood. We had great food from the grill and side dishes everyone brought, the kids loved the bounce house, and the fire department came to let the kids climb around on their truck.
The only pictures I got were my kids on the fire truck. I wish that I had not been so shy to take pictures of people I barely knew. Maybe next time.
The only pictures I got were my kids on the fire truck. I wish that I had not been so shy to take pictures of people I barely knew. Maybe next time.
Many of our neighbors that couldn't come to our ice cream party told us last night that they really wanted to come but were out of town. We told them not to worry because we are now thinking of having a Chili Cook Off in November at our house. Another neighbor suggested that we do a progressive dinner in early December. It is so exciting to watch our neighborhood come together in community.
In the days of the early church there was also community.
All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.
Community is very important as we learned in church this morning from a great friend....
Jesus lived in community as he called his 12 disciples to follow him.
We also were reminded of the two greatest commandments that God has given us... Love God and then Love Others. When we truly Love Others we are in community with them.
If you look around there is community everywhere. Even if you are home alone you can find community on the internet with Myspace and Facebook and even through blogs and emails.
I would like to encourage you today to get involved in community wherever you are. If you are already living in community let me know, I would love to hear your ideas and stories. Who knows you might even inspire our next community party.



3 comments:
What good ideas you have for your neighborhood. Love the post. Good reminder of how we need to get out of our little comfort zone to reach out to others.
wow awesome and timely post. This is EXACTLY what was preached yesterday! Thanks for sharing your heart with us.
Yes! Do a Chili cookoff!
Post a Comment