Tuesday, October 7

costume ideas...




Last year for Trick or Treat, Alyssa dressed up as Strawberry Shortcake. Every house we went to immediatley recognized her as Strawberry Shortcake. I loved it!


But this is a new year and we have several options. I know that there is going to come a year when she gets to decide what she wants to dress like, so I am trying to dress her up now as things that she would fight me on later. One day she will want to be a Disney Princess, or maybe even a cute animal or Dora the Explorer or a variety of other characters so I want to stay with the classics that she wouldn't necessarily know or care about. I was thinking of making her the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker, but that is the same costume as a ballerina which she could one day want to be on her own.






So I have a few choices that I am thinking about. One choice would be a classic Southern Belle. I like this option for a couple of reasons, it is dressing in a very fancy dress, and because we are no longer in the South I may never see my little girl as a true Southern Belle so it would be nice to play Southern Belle dressup. The problems being that the fancy dress, hat and parasol would not only be hard to find but could get expensive, although I'm sure I could get creative and put something together on my own that wouldn't cost any more than the boys costumes.






My other choice is one that would be very easy to do, but may not be recognizable right away. Every time someone sees my daughter for the first time I ALWAYS hear, "She looks just like Shirley Temple."















I think that I would put her in a sailor outfit and give her a fake Lollipop as a prop, from the Good Ship, Lollipop. This one may be the easiest one to do, but may not be as recognizable. It's a toss up.


So I have decided to put a poll on my blog and have my readers vote on what they think would be the best option this year. You can vote for one of my ideas or you can choose the option "I left a suggestion in your comments," and then leave a comment on this blog telling me ideas that you may have that I can also do. Have fun voting! (voting closes at 8:00am on Oct. 20th)


By the way, I did not mention my boys costumes on purpose. They have already decided what they want to be so when we get the costumes perfected and adorned, I will take pictures and share them here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a hard one. They are both really good ideas. I would have to say Shirley Temple one gets my vote. Good luck:-)

Anonymous said...

Love the Shirley Temple idea but I agree most won't get it quickly. I do know that Walmart has a southern belle set with hat,dress,etc. in their halloween section. It looks alot like the one in the picture. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I think Shirley Temple wins my vote :)

amorris1967 said...

If you want to dress her as something she'll fight you on later, I say dress her as a pro wrestler. Whaddaya' say?

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column