This morning Alyssa and I were looking out the window and we saw a squirrel in the tree. She was so excited and was telling me all about what the squirrel was doing. Then another squirrel caught her attention and she said "mom, look him brother." We talked a little bit about this squirrel having brothers and sisters. I asked her if she had any sisters and I was amazed when she answered no. I was amazed because she seemed to really understand the term sister. I decided to test her further and asked her do you have brothers? Her answer was NO. I thought 'oh well, just a fluke with the sister question, but she will get it someday.' That was when my very smart daughter decided that I needed an explanation. She said "I have a Karston and a Jo." I laughed at the fact that Karston and Jo are her brothers, but to her they are so much more.
If only the joy of that moment had been enough to get me through the last half of the day when they were all arguing and wrestling and screaming at each other. My memory of the sweet innocence of the morning was gone.
But they are now all in bed sleeping and once again calm has blanketed the house. The sacrifice of motherhood seems worth it and the pure joy of having children is returning. Aahhh!
Wednesday, January 21
If only for a moment...
Posted by Reese at 11:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That is a great response. She is a mess. I was telling Dallise yesterday that I never get over the utter wonder when I hold her and she looks into my face with absolute glee that Papa is holding her. I don't have a Granddaughter; I have an Alyssa.
awww... we need to record more of these cute moments. she's saying so many cute things these days in such a matter-of-fact way.
You write good!
Post a Comment