Tuesday, January 27

Growing up with Technology...

My generation has grown up along side the advancement of technology. Let's start with our Music...

I am not of the generation that had 8 tracks, but I do remember being intrigued by them as a kid. I couldn't believe my dad still had these clunky, outdated box as a way of listening to music. I mean really we were now in the age of cassette tapes. We could not only buy them in the stores with our favorite music on them, but we could also buy them blank and record our own voices on them. This wasn't new with my generation either. We had already surpassed the era of the records and every home now had a record player and a cassette player or boom box.


I remember when I was only 6yrs old that I got my own record player for Christmas. I was so excited to be able to play my own records.

When I was a teenager, out came the CD. It was new and such a better quality. I remember that we had a hard time deciding whether or not to get our first CD player because it meant converting all of our favorite music to CD's. But we also knew that it was inevitable. The cassette tape was following the same path as the the 8 track. Today, this technology has grown yet again with MP3's and IPod's and other ways of getting our music from our computers.

This brings us to another form of technology that has grown with my generation, the typewriter to the computer. When I took Keyboarding class my freshman year of high school, I remember that feeling of being on the verge of something new with computers. Computers were only accessible through offices, schools, or library's. If you had one in your home, you might be considered rich. So while we learned keyboarding skills on the computer at school we were still using the typewriter at home. Typewriters themselves had come a long way and were now electrical. You could now press Enter and on it's own it would return to the left margin to start a new line. This was fancy.

By the time I became a Sophomore everyone had computers in their home and I was taking classes to learn the software like Word Perfect. Only a few short years later the Internet was mainstream and life as we had known it changed drastically.

Whether it is Technology or any other area of life, change must come. We all must grow. It is in this growth that we find out who we really are and what life can really be. With this growth and maturity comes a such a satisfaction of what has gone before and where the future is going.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since we are the same age, I really enjoyed going down memory lane with you. I was just talking to someone today about how we are addicted to cell phones. Just a short time ago, we did not have any and now, I practically am fearful if I am driving without one. I am just pitiful!

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column