Monday, July 27

Surprise, Surprise

When I married into this family of BOYS I thought I may have given up any hope of having a daughter. I had my first child, a boy and then my second child was also a boy. I was beginning to believe that I was destined to be a mom of ALL BOYS. There is nothing wrong with being a mom of boys, and I would have embraced it with all I had in me, but I had to suppress that dream of one day having my very own little girl. This was a dream of mine because I come from a family of all girls and craved the familiarity of relating to my child(ren's) childhood years. Time went by and we found ourselves pregnant for a third time.

I never thought I would be having a girl, BUT I DID!'




So I have decided to make a list of things that I now do with/for my little girl and the things we talk about that I never thought I would doing or saying. I will start with what I was doing when I decided to make this list...


1. dressing a barbie while driving

2. wearing plastic jewelry as though it were my most expensive gems.

3. making princess hats for her Princess Party

4.picking up a perfectly good dollhouse off the side of the road.

5. looking into dance lessons

6. knowing right where to find the small pony tail holders to put in my boys hair (funky hair day at school)

7. hearing this conversation between my boys: son #1, "Let's go play" son #2, "What are we going to play?" #1, "Barbies" #2 "Oh yeah [our sister] just got that new barbie" #1 "Ssh, we don't want her to hear us because then she will want to play with us too." (Take Comfort Folks, the boys were playing war games with Barbie)

8. having the ability to tell you about any of the Disney Princesses.

9. explaining to my 3yr old that it doesn't matter how much we look and ask for a "little bra" they just don't make them in her size.

10. helping my mother pick out the smallest and pinkest and cutest ballet outfit including dancing shoes

11. watching my child lift up her shirt and say "Look how Pink, I am!"

12. Playing the "Fancy Nancy" game

13.showing my child how to use a ballet bar

14.hearing my child refer to her grandmother as her "Girlfriend!"

15. settling arguments between my child and her friends about who gets the pink barbie with the shoes

16. Reading a discussion on Facebook that my husband had with some friends... "my almost 10 year old son who was sweet enough to play dress up with his little sister and is now wearing a purple polka dot dress and a purple feather boa and black tights."

17. looking everywhere for "The Pink Blanket."

18. buying sippy cups just because they have THE Princesses on them.

19. laying on the bed talking to my three year old about going on a "Binger" (adventure) with her best friends and Dora.




20. Making a list of all the things I am surprised to have done since having my baby girl!

5 comments:

angie said...

Fun post! What would we do without our little princess?

Dr Phil said...

As the Father of those boys into whose family you married, I admit I never did or said even one of the things in your list.

Grump said...

Having had nothing BUT girls, I can identify with much of what you said.
This is coming from a father who has actually gone shopping with a pink barret in his hair.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this! Oh, I pray I have a princess of my own one day!

The Growing Goodsons said...

Love the list. I have done many of these things in the 2 short years of having a girl and I'm sure as the years go by even more things will get checked off the list.

Having a girl and being a Goodson is something to be proud of b/c it doesn't happen very often. I can't believe we are going to have 2 soon! When this baby gets old enough she is going to adore tagging along with Alyssa and Jericho.

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column