(Yes, Josiah and Alyssa have Ice Cream all over their faces)
I recently told you of a way to help curb my children's attitudes and sibling rivalries. We have started having Family Conferences on a weekly basis. The kids have been given the freedom make some rules and have some input on the family's schedule.
After the first meeting the boys really tested us and got grounded constantly. We are finally having meetings about things we can do to help us be a better family rather than talking about rules and consequences. Now for the fun part. Here are a few things we have decided to do...
- Reinstate Family Game Night
- Assign One Day a Week to Library days
- Keep Each Other Accountable for Keeping Our Rooms clean (the kids get to check our room and we get to check their room) Once a week.
- Stick to our Chore List and Save our Allowances For When We Go To The 7Mile Flea Market Again
- Draw Each Other's Names From A Hat To Be Extra Nice To For The Week
I have seen a big difference in our family life. The key is letting everyone, even the youngest be involved, staying open to any suggestions, and being flexible to change when needed. It seems that giving the kids some of the say of what we do as a family also gives them the desire to follow those rules. We may not ever be a perfect family, but we are working on being the best family we can be.



2 comments:
Love it! Great ideas. If you guys could work out all the kinks before I have children, and then pass your wisdom on to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
That's a great idea! I'll have to keep it in mind in the years to come.
Post a Comment