Sunday, July 4

A Change is Comin'



People see different images different ways. For example the picture above to me looks like the hand of God has reached through an intense barrier to save my life by passing to me the juice that my veins crave on a daily basis. Now you may think that my description is a bit extreme, or drastic, but when you have an addiction This is the way you see things.

Yes I do see it as an addiction. An addiction that I thought I had under control. I was drinking one a day and could stop any time I wanted. The problem was that 1st I didn't EVER want to stop, and 2nd I had to have it first thing in the morning before I could function or be nice to anyone, and 3rd when holidays came around I was definitely drinking more than one a day! Last May I decided it was getting out of control, but my pride was not ready to give up.

When summer started and I realized I was getting nowhere with willpower I realized that it was more than just a decision that had to be made. I had to make a lifestyle change! Albeit a small change, it was a change nonetheless. I knew that if I didn't make this change on the hardest day possible it would never happen, so on a Monday morning I woke up and determined that I was done with COKE!

Now, I fully expected to break out in hives, have massive headaches, and to be a total grouch (not the best word to describe me, but I am keeping this post clean) to everyone that got in my way. None of that happened. I did have to fight the urge to run to the store at every moment of the day, but having 3 kids and the oldest complaining every time I pull them away from friends was a great determent.

Before the end of the week I was already seeing signs of a better life. I have always dealt with intense heartburn and acid reflux. That week I had the acid reflux with no heartburn! Honestly, I have not had heartburn since. I have also noticed my nails growing better and that water is not really a bad thing to drink. I am now 3WEEKS SOBER! Whoo Hoo!

The other thing I decided to change was being lazy and inactive. So the best way to take care of this was Exercise. I knew I couldn't go hardcore and join my hubby at Crossfit, but other gyms weren't working out either. SO I ordered Zumba videos in the mail! YAY! Then I got my Zumba videos in the mail and realized it may be harder than it looked. I had to learn the dance steps before I could start any workouts.

So I learned the Salsa, the Meringue, the Cumbia many more similar dances. It was fun! I did my first real workout yesterday! I thought I should start with the 20min exercise designed for when you don't have time for a full workout. Half way through, I thought I would pass out! I was having a hard time breathing and needed water desperately! I got the water finished the workout and then while I rested, watched a full workout. Whew! I got my work cut out for me for sure! But I am still excited to to be a more active and productive person to my family and to myself.

I'll keep you updated as I practice this better way of living.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yay Charis! Keep it up! I need to do the same thing with sweet tea. It's all I want to drink all the time. I'll go on "sweet tea fasts" and get in the habit of drinking only water and not miss it, but then if I have just one glass I'm off the bandwagon. Sad...

Heath said...

Pround of you babe...the hardest part is starting

Peeks at Reese (since 5/31)

Heaven 3 column