I have to share with you all what happened to me tonight. You won't believe it, I'm not even sure I still believe it. Even as I write this it still seems so surreal.
I realized just before dinner tonight that we had not returned our Red Box movies from Friday night. Knowing that we would get charged another dollar if we didn't get them returned by 9:00pm. I grabbed up the movies and told Heath I would be right back. I drove to Jewel and waited in the car while the woman at the Red Box decided on what movie to get. There was already a man standing in line behind her so I decided to wait from afar. When she left and he went to make his decision, I got out of the car and stood in line behind him. While I was waiting another woman and her daughter got in line behind me to return a previously rented movie.
Just in case you are wondering I am not at the weird, random, bizarre, surreal part yet.
The man in front of me made his decision and swiped his card. Apparently his card was denied and he didn't know why. He turned around and looked at me and the woman behind me and apologized for taking so long and made a joke about how he had broke the machine.
Ready? Here it is....
Without skipping a beat or even taking a breath, he pointed at me and asked if I had lost my ID.
(Just for a little background, several months ago Alyssa had found my wallet and pulled out all of the cards and was playing with them. When I found her with them, I put the cards back in my wallet and the only one missing was my liscense. I thought at first that I would eventually find it but after cleaning my house top to bottom several times I knew it was hopeless. I have spent months trying to find a good day and time to get it replaced. )
I was stunned at the man's question and just said "What?" He then asked me again, "Did you lose your ID, like a liscense or something."
I responded with "Yes, a long time ago I did."
He then said "I found it, I have here in my wallet." He then started thumbing through cards in his wallet and pulled out my liscense.
I took it from him and said "Yes, that is mine(obviously it was since my picture was right there on it.) I thought my two year old had lost it." He then told me that he had found it in the parking lot of the grocery store that we were standing in front of.
I looked at him very confused and said "Well, thank you. I am suprised at how quickly you recognized me."
He then said "I have kept it right here in my wallet and see it everytime I look in here." He went on to tell me that he had looked my name up in the phone book and tried to call me. He reassured me several times that he was not a stalker and asked me to not be "freaked out." I couldn't help it, I told him "I am freaked out, but not because I think you are a stalker, just because of this whole thing."
1. Heath could have returned the movies
2. We could have returned them on time or any other time rather than 2days late
3. We thought Karston had a cub scouts meeting and debated about going to it, Karston got in trouble so we decided not to go (turns out his meeting is next week)
4. If his credit card had not been denied he wouldn't have turned around to look at me
5. Who puts the ID in their wallet and carries it around, rather than turn it into the grocery store management or mail it to the address on the front of it.
6. What if I had waited in my car a bit longer and let other people get in line ahead of me would he have ever gotten a chance to look at me?
I'm sure that there are many more reasons why this incident was such a chance thing, but the more I think about it the more weirded out I am by it. I just thought I would share it with all of you so that you too can marvel in the wonder and absurdity that I experienced. As the man walked away (never even getting a movie) the woman behind me in line and I just stood there stunned and amazed and I asked her "What just happened?"




2 comments:
I still think Heath should go over and threaten to beat the crap out of him if he ever even thinks about you again!
That was weird, but I think that God set it all up for you and you just listened. It's good you got your license back.
dr phil i don't think that would be the right thing to do, but it was very funny! :)
Post a Comment