Last week after our Awesome party, I fully expected all of us to go back into our homes and not come out again until Spring. I was under the impression that we were all looking forward to the next time we would be getting together... The Spring BBQ in late March.
The temperatures have been very low with wind chills in the negatives. We really would have no reason to get out and do any kind of prolonged hellos or goodbyes.
So as a pleasant surprise a couple of things have happened this week. About midweek and mid morning, there was a knock on our door. Surprised and curious I opened the door to find our neighbor from 2 doors down. He handed me some information saying "this is a snow blower your husband needs to get," (I did detected a little humor in his words.) He then handed me a large tin of popcorn and told me he thought our children would enjoy it. That they did. It was a quick conversation, but also very unexpected. When Heath got home I gave him the information on the must have snow blower. You may be saying "why is this a big deal?" Well, 1. Like I said I didn't expect to have any face to face contact with our neighbors until Spring.2. This neighbor is not one that we already have a regular connection with through kids.
3. We were not the ones reaching out. Our neighbor came to us.This was not the end of good surprises this week.
At the Super Bowl party I was telling someone that I was disappointed because just that morning my kids
blew me off when I want to make Valentine's Cards with them. Josiah said to me "mom I want to make the cards with you, but just not right now." :( Just as I was explaining this to my friend one of the young girls from down the street walked by. I mentioned in fun that I thought she would help me make the cards. She said she would and that was the end of the conversation. Later in the week I got a text from this same young girl. She was asking when I wanted to make the cards. I had no idea that she had taken me serious, but I saw this as an opportunity. So I set the date and time. We invited more of the kids from the street and in all had 7 kids in my living room making Valentine's cards for their families.
blew me off when I want to make Valentine's Cards with them. Josiah said to me "mom I want to make the cards with you, but just not right now." :( Just as I was explaining this to my friend one of the young girls from down the street walked by. I mentioned in fun that I thought she would help me make the cards. She said she would and that was the end of the conversation. Later in the week I got a text from this same young girl. She was asking when I wanted to make the cards. I had no idea that she had taken me serious, but I saw this as an opportunity. So I set the date and time. We invited more of the kids from the street and in all had 7 kids in my living room making Valentine's cards for their families.
Glitter and Glue, Hearts and Flowers, Music and Fun, Smiles and Laughter. We used all of that to create some one of a kind Valentine's cards. As we made cards we talked. We had conversations that were centered around their lives and their interest. The boys became uninterested in the cards pretty quickly and went straight to getting some tunes going. In the end they were all happy and I thanked them for coming over to play. ALL in all, it has been a good week for Burton Street. As neighbors we have been in each other's hearts and that has speared conversations. There are at least 6 more weeks of winter here, but I so look forward to more connections and not so unexpected conversations from the heart.







3 comments:
You're the best!
oh fun. i love spontaneous valentine card making festivities.
i like it, thank for share , you can visit http://guns.gamesforkids.name
Post a Comment